I had the pleasure of interviewing the amazing Marla Leigh Goldstein for a little online series I put together a few years ago called “Living Out Loud: How to Connect With Your True Self, Find Your Passion and Purpose, and Use Your Gifts to Make a Difference!“. It was one of my FIRST ever online programs that I ever put together.
I interviewed so many amazing people for this project! SO much fun. But today I want to share this particular interview since it was one of my very favorites.
Why was it one of my faves, you ask? It’s that Marla did such an amazing job of communicating how her passion for drumming truly transformed her life by healing her body, mind, and soul. Her overall message was this:
When you follow your calling, magic happens.
I couldn’t agree more! You can check out the interview here:
During our interview Marla shared a number of fascinating facts about her own passion for frame drumming. Here are a few key points about this practice that really resonated with me:
- Frame drumming is an ancient practice that women around the world have practiced. It weaves us together.
- Frame drumming has been used for ritual, healing, and rites of passage.
- Doctors have revealed how drumming actually changes our DNA. It helps calm the nervous system, balance brain hemispheres, helps with depression, nervous tension, and anxiety.
Tips from Marla on starting up a practice when you have no time:
- Start by getting clear by setting your intention. Why do you want to play?
- Find a dedicated space. Simply having a space to practice is tremendously helpful.
- Set up a routine. If you have the fire in your heart, the discipline will come. Set a timer, go into your dedicated space, and practice…even if it’s only for 5-10 minutes.
Are you interested in finding your passion for creating some music magic?
Marla has a Frame Drum Academy where she teaches you how you can get started doing exactly what she does. If you want to find out more, click on the image below.
I have actually had the pleasure of taking the class, and although I can say I’m nowhere close to Marla’s expert level, I very much LOVE picking up my drum as a method of connecting back to my own gooey center. Not only that, but it really does help to connect me with my own passion for music.
If you’re curious as to how you can find your passion through the magic of music, then you might just want to check out not only the interview above, but head on over to her website to see what her Frame Drum Academy is all about!
Not that into music, but interested in more ways to infuse creativity throughout your day? Read this post: A Creative Practice You Can Do Everyday.
And for more on healing through creativity, check out this post: How Writing Helped Me Heal.
Just a note…this post includes affiliate links. This means that if you choose to purchase the Frame Drum Academy course, I will receive a commission from the purchase. Any commission earned helps to support this site.